I had a totally different post planned for today (and maybe I’ll still put that one up), but I decided that with the Fourth of July right around the corner, I’d rather talk about what I have to have with me to celebrate.
This list is not all-inclusive by any means. Let’s be real — if it was, there’d be hair ties, drinks, hot dogs, humans, and fireworks. Which, speaking of fireworks, some assclown thought it would be a great idea to shoot some off in the parking lot at 2:30 this morning. They were going off right outside my window. Not cool. Anyway.
These days my mom likes to travel a lot. (This is relevant, I promise.) On the rare occasion that she’s home for the month of July she throws an awesome Fourth of July party. There’s a pool in the backyard, a huge grill on the deck, and all the best people come to hang out. My parents’ house is also right across from our county fairgrounds, so we basically get a free fireworks show every year. This holiday is definitely top three for me.
So now, I present to you a very small smattering of the things I love to have with me on this patriotic day.
|Bag from Gap – sold out. Similar here. // Kindle – old model. New here. // Sunscreen // Bathing suit – Target // Blanket – Thirty One|
1. A bag to carry all your stuff. If you’ve been reading my blog for a long time, you may remember that this exact bag graced a post about a year ago. I wanted it for my birthday, but I totally ended up buying it for myself. No regrets.
2. Kindle or books. Yeah, I’m old school — this is the kindle I have. Second generation, I think? I go back and forth between Kindle and real books. Sometimes I don’t want the pages of my book to get wet, though, so then I resort to technology.
3. Sunscreen. This is my favorite brand, but I’ll use whatever’s around. I was blessed with fair skin and freckles, so SPF 30 is the least I can wear, and I always reapply every two-ish hours. Otherwise… lobster. I also have the after-sun lotion from Hawaiian Tropic (which also graced my blog last year), and I’m totally obsessed. That’s usually in the bag, too.
4. A bathing suit. Duh. Preferably one that’s red, white, and blue, or any combination of those three colors. I’m all about being festive.
5. A blanket. This is from Thirty-One. It’s waterproof on one side, and really soft on the other. I lay the waterproof side on the grass when I go to watch fireworks and I sit on the soft side (I feel like this was obvious). Then I just wipe off the other side and all is good with the world. I hate grass. I especially hate wet grass.
Again, not all-inclusive, but a pretty good representation. Looking back at this list, I suppose it could double as a pool essentials list, but oh well. I will be spending the Fourth at the pool, so I suppose it’s one in the same.